I don’t think any year, summers feel complete without chugging a mug of cold beer while sitting by the pool or the beach! I am back with Midweek Happy Hour and this month we are going to make some super easy summer cocktails with beer! Okay, I get it. You enjoy your beer unadulterated but trust me, some beer cocktails are worth a try. But first, let us explore beer a bit – some beer facts and some astonishing history about this elixir from around the world!
View this post on Instagram
Summers are here! And I miss beaches. In June, I am going to share some easy peasy summer cocktails. Beer cocktails! Well, I never liked my beer adulterated with mixers. But then, it takes the right ale and the right flavour to get that perfect beer cocktail. Do you have any to beer cocktail to share? PS: A Corona without the lime wedge is like Adam without the fig leaf. Even that is a crude beer cocktail because as Corona learned from it customers – it tastes better with lime juice! 📸: @das_sushant . . . . . #coronabeer #cocktail #beach #throwback #cocktailrecipes #beercocktail #beergeek #ipa #austinblogger #atxblogger #texasblogger
After I moved to the US, I realized that if we were to evaluate the alcoholic beverage market, then beer would have been the national drink than bourbon. According to USA Today, the beer market stands at more than $100B – that is only craft beer! Also, beer is the third most popular drink on the Earth, after water and tea.
Here are some super exciting beer facts that I came across while reading stuff on the internet or while travelling around the world, trying to chug as many beers as I can!
- The Czech Republic consumes the most extensive per capita beer. And this explains such dedicated museums in the capital city! It is 143.3 L of beer per person per year (Source)
- Snake Venom is the strongest beer in the world. It has 67.5% alcohol by volume
- Texas is a land that will never fail to amaze me! Beer is the only alcoholic that has been deep-fried and enjoy as a popular snack. It was invented by Mark Zable, who debuted his award-winning creation at the Texas State Fair in 2010. Yes, it’s a snack made by dunking a puff filled with beer in hot oil!
- The spellbinding temple in Thailand, Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew (Wilderness Temple of the Great Glass Pagoda), is made up of 1.5 Million beer bottles – a thing I learned during my first ever trip to a foreign land.
- Moderate beer consumption can help in preventing osteoporosis as it is a rich source of silicon! (Source)
- Zythology is the study of beer – yes, it’s a thing.
- Beer is an extremely mild and effective hair conditioner! And it’s a tried and tested thing – I have used beer to wash my hair after spending summery afternoons in sandy beaches. No frizz!
- McDonald’s’ in many European countries serve beer! Now, that is a perfect fast food joint!
- Beer dates back to 3500 BC! I am not kidding. Iran has shown the earliest shreds of evidence of beer crafting.
- And finally, something that I learned in Netherland. Amsterdam Government gives alcoholic people incentives to clean the streets – five cans of beers, cigarettes and 11 Euros. It wanted to show that even alcoholics can be productive for a nation.
Next week, I will be sharing this super amazing and easy beer cocktail. Till then, happy chuggin’, mate!