Vodka is one of the most natural drink to use for cocktails.
You mix vodka and cranberry juice, you get a Cape Codder. You mix vodka with orange juice, you get a Screwdriver.
You mix all three of these, and voila, you get Madras. Madras originated because some dudes in 1945 wanted to give the good old’ Cape Code a citric twist. And yes, Madras is by far the most refreshing yet the simplest cocktail you will ever have.
Also, don’t stress over the name. Most of the old fashioned cocktails are named after some cities. This one is no different. It is named after a southern state in India. It’s pretty hot there, and this refreshing drink is just perfect for the summers in Madras. Fun fact, Madras city is now renamed as Chennai.
Every bartender has their own way of mixing them and giving you a better cocktail. Try muddling some mint leaves or add some sugar syrup or squeeze some lime or give it a spicy twist by adding a li’l bit of cinnamon sugar. Using flavoured vodka gives that extra kick. What I love to do is play with the ratio.
Don’t mix drinking with driving.
- 60ml Vodka
- 60ml Cranberry Juice
- 30ml Orange Juice
- 2/3 cup of Ice
- Lime slice for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients in a tall glass.
- Add ice.
- Garnish with lime
- You know you can skip the fancy garnishing when making cocktail at home.
- I have changed the measurement according to my taste. The traditional Madras has 90ml of cranberry juice.
- Add cinnamon sugar as per taste if you want it to a bit spicy.
- Squeezing lemon juice is also a good option.
- Mixing the orange juice and vodka over ice and topping it with cranberry juice gives a nice sunset-y color to your drink!